Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mint, Zucchini, and Rice Frittata with Feta


Most everyone I know has a go-to frittata or quiche recipe.  They use this recipe whenever they need a quick dinner or a nice, easy brunch with friends.  Frittatas manage to be incredibly simple while tasting delicious and looking classy.  They can be dressed up or dressed down, and they are the perfect platform for whatever leftovers you might have and need to use up.


Because of this, I rarely consult a recipe for a frittata, let alone buy specific ingredients to go in one.  But I saw this recipe and it really intrigued me.   I had never seen mint used so abundantly in a savory dish, and I was curious how the flavors would go together.  It turns out that they work incredibly well.


I was also intrigued by the unique textural qualities of this dish, and of course had lots of fun making zucchini ribbons with my vegetable slicer.  Let's face it - most of us are still kids at heart, and any opportunity to "play" in the kitchen is worth it.  Ok, well maybe that's just me, but nevertheless, I love using regular, somewhat boring vegetables and turning them into fun, wonky shapes.


I know, I know you don't want to go to the store to buy specific ingredients to go in a frittata, either.  But frankly, you should.  Just this once.  Every other time, I promise it can be an eclectic mix of unidentifiable leftovers, but this time, just try it.  I promise you'll be delightfully surprised.


After all, this particular frittata is light and delicate, yet satisfying in that "wow, I actually ate something that is good for me and tastes good, too" kind of way.  And it's a great go to item for that brunch you forgot about, or even a light dinner when you need something fast.  Oh, and did I mention that you get to show off your awesome vegetable peeling skills?


Mint, Zucchini, and Rice Frittata with Feta
Adapted from Sunday Suppers

1 cup cooked brown basmati rice
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3-4 small zucchini, sliced thinly lengthwise (I use a vegetable peeler to create zucchini ribbons)
1 medium leek, sliced into thin medallions
1/2 bunch chopped mint
6 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon sea salt*
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
3/4 cup feta

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a cast iron skillet saute zucchini and leeks in butter and oil until soft. Mix in the rice and mint.
Whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper.  Pour over rice mixture. Cook without stirring for 3 minutes. Add crumbled feta on top.

Transfer into oven, bake 12-15 minutes, until firm to the touch and lightly browned on top.

*Reduce amount of sea salt if you are using a particularly salty Feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment