Friday, February 24, 2012

Matcha Green Tea Shortbread Cookies


Yup, you read that right.  And, no, there is no food coloring involved.  I don't know how many of you are tea drinkers, but I love tea.  There is something so calming and wonderful about pouring boiling water over tea leaves or herbs and brewing the perfect cup of tea.  And there is something equally lovely about drinking it.  In the last year or so, I have become absolutely captivated by loose-leaf teas, mixing and matching a variety of herbs and tea leaves to create wonderful flavor combinations.


So when I first stumbled across a green tea cake recipe, I was definitely intrigued.  The problem is, I'm just not that much of a cake person.  It always looks pretty.  I'm just not that into the idea of a huge slice of cake on a random Wednesday.  And I never feel quite justified in making a cake for anything other than a birthday or party.  And even then, I am usually more inclined to make a tart, a pie, or some other completely off the wall dessert before I think of making a cake.  Let's just say it's not that high on my dessert-making list.  I can, however, get behind cookies.  Anytime, anywhere.  The versatility of a cookie is endless.  And there is something utterly delightful about the idea of a plate of cookies and cups of tea shared between friends.  I can definitely do that on a random Wednesday.


So I started hunting for other Matcha recipes.  It is now time for me to rather meekly admit (if you haven't already gathered) that I am very ingredient-driven in my cooking.  I either think of or come across some particular ingredient or other, and then spend an inordinate amount of time researching potential recipes in which to showcase that ingredient, thus subjecting my poor spouse to weeks of "apple tart, apple cake, apple challah, apple chutney...".  You get the drift.


So really, what choice did I have?  The concept of working with such a unique ingredient was fascinating, and besides, I got to play with tea.  I have to admit: I do not like coffee.  I am not particularly fond of caffeine-rich teas, either, unless they are mixed with spices or herbs.  But the idea of a green tea cookie was difficult to resist.  And surprisingly, there are a lot of green tea cookie recipes out there.


I finally settled on the recipe from Smitten Kitchen, which resembled a basic butter cookie with the addition of green tea powder.  Now I'm sure you are probably asking the same question I did: where the heck do you find green tea powder?  Per Deb's suggestion on Smitten, I first went to Whole Foods, and while they did have some, it was very expensive.  I had much better luck in a Japanese import store.  You may also have an easy time if you go to an actual tea shop, where you can purchase loose-leaf teas by the ounce.  However you track your green tea down, please make these and enjoy them on rainy (or sunny) day for me.


Matcha Green Tea Shortbread Cookies
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen 

Note that shortbread cookies are incredibly versatile.  If you are not particularly interested in green tea, you can eliminate it and flavor your cookies with cinnamon, nutmeg, or any other variety of flavors.

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar (if you want a slightly sweeter cookie, increase sugar by 2 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons unsweetened matcha green tea powder
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
turbinado (raw) sugar, for rolling

Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl.  In a large bowl, beat softened butter until smooth.  Add the almond extract, then all of the dry ingredients.  Mix on low speed until the dough is smooth and all of the flour is hydrated.  The dough will begin to form clumps and you will be able to form it into a ball.  Divide dough into two discs and form each into a long cylinder.  Flatten the edges of the cylinder to form a rectangle, about 10 inches long.  Pour about 1/4 cup of turbinado sugar onto a plate or onto a sheet of parchment paper.  Roll each rectangle in the sugar, gently pressing to get the sugar to stick.  Place both rectangles into the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Remove dough from the fridge and slice into 1/6 inch slices.  Place cookies onto a cookie sheet, 1/2 inch apart, and bake 15-18 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown on the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment