Friday, November 4, 2011

Autumn Apple Crisp


Ok, so I know you are probably wondering if I know how to make anything that does NOT include apples, but it's so hard to care when the smell of baking apples and cinnamon waft through your home.  After all, I only have twenty or so a few more apple recipes to share with you this year.  And besides, this recipe came by special request.  I received an email a few days ago from a friend requesting a good apple crisp recipe.  Which is why I then had to sheepishly acknowledge to her that I don't have a recipe for apple crisp.  Instead, crisps tend to be made with whatever apples I have at the time with whatever ingredients I want on top.  There is always butter, and a touch of sugar, but the rest usually comes out of necessity.  When is it done you may ask?  Umm...when it smells done?  When it looks done?  I don't know, I just know its done.  Then, I just shrug my shoulders and smile.  Everyone I discuss recipes with hates when I cook like that because it is rarely, if ever repeatable.


This same friend then kindly sent me her mother's apple crisp recipe.  I LOVE recipes like that.  You know - the ones that have been passed down through families for generations on a 5x7 inch recipe card.  The ones with stains on them from every baker who has ever used them.  The ones with the cryptic directions scribbled below because every baker using this recipe already knows how to make it because her mom/grandma/great-grandma taught it to her when she was twelve.  There is so much history and love in recipes like that.  My favorite line from the directions in this particular recipe read "Serve hot with whole milk".


Thankfully, this lovely friend didn't mind my tweaking and tampering with her mother's recipe.  I must warn you - if you ever want a recipe to stay intact, then don't share it with me.  I notoriously make changes to any recipe I find - including my own.  In fact, I can list on the fingers of one hand the number of recipes that I refuse to make alterations to.  That aside, I truly enjoyed adapting this one, and once and for all being able to reply, "yes, I do have an apple crisp recipe".  So with this, I encourage you to make an apple crisp tonight and bring the smell of Fall into your home.  And if you alter it?  I won't mind.  Fair's fair after all.


Autumn Apple Crisp (Serves 4-6)
Inspired by Betty Webb's Apple Caramel

Note: If you like crisp sweet, then use 1/2 cup of brown sugar.  Otherwise, use less sugar (I suggest 1/3 cup).  I like my desserts to be sweet, but not aggressively so.  I would rather use sweeter apples with less sugar then use tart apples with a lot of sugar.  


Also, if you prefer a higher crisp-to-apple ratio, then I would recommend using 5-6 apples for this recipe.  If, however you prefer more apple, then by all means go for 7-8 medium-sized apples.  I did not specify an apple variety, as people have very strong (and different) opinions about what type of apples they enjoy baking with.  Personally, I enjoy using a mix of varieties. I prefer using sweet apples like Golden Delicious rather than a high quantity of sugar, but I also like to balance these texturally with varieties such as the Winesap and Arkansas Black.


Filling
5-8 medium apples
1 tablespoon white sugar (optional if using apple cider or sweet apples)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup apple cider or water


Topping
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 - 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
4-5 tablespoons butter


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Peel, core, and thinly slice apples.  In a medium size bowl, mix apples, white sugar (if using), all-purpose flour, cinnamon and 1/4 cup apple cider together.  Pour the apple mixture into a lightly greased 8x8 inch baking dish.  Set aside.


To make the topping, mix oats, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, walnuts, and spices together in a bowl.  Melt 4 tablespoons of butter, add to flour mixture, and mix either with a fork or with your fingers, until the butter is thoroughly distributed.  Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apple mixture.  Slice the remaining tablespoon of butter into small pieces, and evenly spread these over the topping.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the apples are tender and bubbling.  Serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment