Friday, October 28, 2011

Applesauce Oat Muffins

Just about this time last year, I was reading the Smitten Kitchen blog and came across a recipe for Spiced Applesauce Cake.  And of course being me, I had to make it right away.  And oh, goodness it was so good!  Except...I wanted the apple flavor to be more distinct.  And so began my many attempts to refine and perfect this cake: a little more spice here, a little more apple there.  Don't even get me started on how many times I made applesauce in an effort to concentrate the apple flavor.  Eventually, I moved on to some other autumnal recipe.  But the concept of applesauce cake continued to pull me.  Unfortunately, you just can't have cake all the time, and as good as the cream cheese frosting is, it lends itself to some rather unnecessary padding.  So I began experimenting with applesauce muffins.  Ah!  There is nothing like dessert wearing a breakfast costume.



 Just this last weekend, Paul and I ventured south to San Luis Obispo on our annual nostalgic Fall visit.  And of course, we bought apples.  Many, many apples.  And so, I started this year's apple-a-thon with applesauce, and now, of course, these muffins.





Applesauce-Oat Muffins 
Largely adapted from Smitten Kitchen 
Makes 18 muffins

As this recipe originated in a cake, it takes a few more steps than your traditional muffin (which usually involves no more than a bowl and a wooden spoon for mixing), but trust me, these are well worth the effort.

Note: I have a particularly strong love of spices, so if you are a little less enthusiastic, feel free to reduce the spices accordingly.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 cup brown sugar (either light or dark)
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly oil 2 muffin tins (or you can use the same muffin tin twice).

Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices together.  Set aside.  Beat butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until pale and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Then, beat applesauce in on low speed.  If the batter looks curdly, don't worry - it will bake out smooth.  At low speed, add the flour mixture until just combined.  Finally, stir in oats.  

Distribute batter evenly between muffin tins and bake 12-15 minutes.  Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack.  Store in an airtight container up to 3 days.





5 comments:

  1. Yummy! I can't wait for you to make these for me... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethany! I love your writing style - full of zest and spice, just like your cooking! Can't wait for you to see my great grandmother's Applesauce Fruitcake recipe - just in time for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany - your blog is beautiful! Love the format, photos and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the muffins and they were very delicious and moist... followed the recipe exactly. Suggest you wait just a minute to cool down muffins before removing from pan.. Try them, you will be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete